Sunday 8 May 2011

FC United of Manchester-An 'Away' Fan's View

Since 2005, and the Glazer takeover of Manchester United, many of us have been followinjg the breakaway club, FC United of Manchester. The lads who set the club up can be rightly proud of their hard work and those of us who follow FC think it's a model club, owned and run by the fans and for the fans, not a massive profit. Or in the words of one of the club's many fine and imaginative banners: "Making Friends Not Millionaires".

But that's my possibly my myopic view of FC. I thought I'd ask a friend, who supports rival club Buxton FC, to give us an idea what fans of other non-league clubs think of us. Here's what John thinks:
I along with many neutrals have kept an eye on the progress of FCUM since their formation.
I remember the first league match in the North West Counties league vs Leek CSOB ( only because a lad from work went) and I think there was something like 4000 people there. So you knew something special was starting.

We neutrals watched as they stormed to the title in that 1st season, then the next league, then the next until they reached the Premier Division of the NPL where my team (Buxton) had reached and had mixed seasons.
Tough league this one.

Now as a Bucks fan, and knowing about the size of the following, FCUM was one of the fixtures to look out for as well as our personal old friends, Matlock. The first time we hosted FC there were over 2000 people in our football ground, it was superb. The atmosphere from both sides was amazing and nothing I'd experienced at Buxton in my time supporting my club.

This time round FC didn't storm to the title, as I said earlier it's a tough league this one. In fact after 3 seasons FC are still with us, only just though after missing out in the play off final this season.

As an away supporter watching my boys play away to FC is also a great experience. Going watching my team play at a 'big and proper' stadium at Bury with again a superb atmosphere created from the home fans. When FC get they're own ground, I honestly think they will start to storm this league and the next two and will be in the football league. Financially having to pay Bury for the use of Gigg Lane must be draining so once they are 'home' they will fly.

I have no bad opinions on FC so long may they continue, the aforementioned support has helped many clubs financially so how can anyone not like them. The only thing I didn't agree on was the FA cup games being televised. You can understand from FC's point of view, money towards the ground, but wasn't it one if the reasons the club was formed? Football at 3pm on a Saturday?

Anyway, that's only a small bug bare? Long may they continue and as long as my team are in the same division, we will all look out for FCUM at home when the fixtures come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment