Friday 4 February 2011

Neil Young-Manchester City FC

How sad to hear about the death of Manchester City's Neil Young at the age of 66.

I saw Neil Young many times in the era when United and City were neck and neck in the late 60s  and early 70s. OK, City were actually above United for a time in that period, but I prefer not to dwell on that.

I still remember being chased through the terraced streets around Maine Road on my way to or from Derby games as if it were yesterday. City had the likes of Bell, Lee and Summerbee, but as I remember Young was up there with the best of them.

Football then was much more exciting and atmospheric with players like those I've mentioned, followed by the likes of Rodney Marsh, Gordon Hill and many other true entertainers. But the graceful and skillful players were ably supported by the kind of hard men who would make today's players run for the dressing rooms. I'm starting to sound like my dad now so I'll stop.

Condolences to Neil Young's family and friends, a true sportsman.

Manchester Evening News Tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment